8B Media: Open Call for Podcasts
Have an idea for a new podcast? 8B Media is launching an open call for podcast pitches. We’re looking for storytellers, producers and new talent from all backgrounds to join us in entertaining, educating, and enlightening people in new ways.
We’re ultimately looking for three to five new show ideas to develop into pilots and potentially full seasons of at least six episodes. If selected for a full season, 8B Media will also provide marketing and PR support, underwriting/sales and membership opportunities, and the opportunity to collaborate, cross-promote, and learn from other 8B Media podcast teams.
Launching in 2019, 8B Media is one of the newest podcast networks around. There are roughly 8 billion people in this world, and everyone’s got a story. Focusing on production value, we are building a network of narrative and interview-style podcasts that highlight the human experience: from the startup to the world traveler to the local to the taboo, with the goal of making the world a little smaller in an educational, entertaining, and enlightening way. At 8B Media, we plan to take on true crime, culture, sports, travel, pop culture, comedy, drama, mental health, startups, education, the arts and more.
For this open call, it’s not required that you have professional audio or media production experience (although that doesn’t hurt, either). We value ideas that stand out — ideas that will leave listeners engaged and wanting more, delivered by engaging hosts.
We are interested in a wide variety of concepts, hosts, styles and structures, but there are a few key traits we’re looking for in each pitch:
- Pitch us a well-defined show that’s different from what’s already out there for podcast listeners.
- Clearly define your show concept. You should be able to describe the overall concept of your show in a few sentences or less. Have your elevator pitch ready.
- Do more than entertain. We look for podcasts that not only engage people but also provide a deep value to our audience.
- Understand who your audience is, and why they’ll listen. Think about how your show might expand the diversity of podcasting and bring in new audience.
- Think long-term. Can your show extend for at least a six-episode season? Does the concept have multi-season potential?
Take risks. Are you a writer who has never worked in audio? Maybe you’ve been producing news, but want to take on a longer project. Maybe you’ve never worked in media, but have the best idea for an interview show. Maybe you're an expert or a known personality in an area. Take a chance with us; we’re looking to build strong teams around strong talent. You don’t have to know how to do everything.
Submissions will be accepted from September 1st to October 31st. If your idea is selected for further consideration, producers from 8B Media will reach out with additional questions. 8B Media may enter into pilot production negotiations with finalists.
Please provide the following information to help us evaluate your podcast concept.
To avoid any misunderstandings, please review the following 8B Media terms and conditions with respect to submission of any creative materials, concepts or ideas:
- You are voluntarily submitting your material to 8B Media for consideration.
- Your submission may be similar to or the same as ideas, concepts or materials received by 8B Media from various other sources and/or works being developed, produced or distributed by 8B Media. 8B Media has no obligation to you nor do you have any claim against 8B Media if your submission is the same as or similar to content owned or developed by 8B Media now or in the future.
- 8B Media has no obligation to review your submission or respond to you regarding your submission.
- 8B Media has no obligation to maintain confidentiality with respect to your submission and has no liability for any disclosure that may occur.
- You confirm that your submission is original to you, does not infringe upon the rights (including copyright, right of privacy or publicity) of any individual, company or organization and is free from plagiarism. You indemnify 8B Media against any claim resulting from a breach by you of the foregoing statement.